‘Padma’ means lotus. Padmasana acquires its name because when performed this resembles a lotus. This is also known as Kamalasana. This is best suited for meditation and for reciting ‘mantras’. This is beneficial to both men and women.
- Sit on the ground.
- Spread the legs forward and place the right foot on the left thigh and left foot on the right thigh. Some persons like to place first the left foot on the right thigh and then to put the right foot on the left thigh. Either process is right.
- Let the left hand rest on the left knee and the right hand on the right knee. (See figure.)
- Let the tips of the thumbs of both the hands touch the tips of the index fingers.
- Keep the head and the spinal column erect.
- Keep your eyes close or open.
- Those who can place only one leg on the thigh should practise this asana daily with zeal. They will be able to perform this asana easily after some practice.
- Stay in the final position for one or two minutes in the initial stage. Later, increase the time gradually.
Continue Padmasana Advantages