When Garudasana is performed, the pose of the body appears to be that of an eagle. So this asana is called Garudasana.
Technique : Stand erect. Keep the right leg straight on the ground and bring the left leg over the right thigh above the right knee. The left leg should be entwined around the right leg in the same way as a creeper encircles the trunk of a tree and sticks to it. The left thigh should be entwined around the right thigh. Interlock the arms in the same manner. The palms should touch each other. Arrange the fingers in such way that they look like the beak of an eagle. Keep the arms in front of the face. Breathe in the normal way. Hold this position for eight to ten seconds. Change the hands and the legs alternately.
(1) This asana strengthens the legs. One can balance the body on one leg.
(2) In this asana, the blood vessels are stretched. So they
(3) It removes the swelling of cells of the testicles.
(4) It cures rheumatism of the arms and the legs.
(5) It alleviates pain in the thighs and the calf muscles.
(6) This asana is helpful for restraining the mind.